April 10, 2009

The Start of Something Good

Here I am again stuck inside the SCIF no windows, just drab walls and grey cubicles..... How did I ever get myself into this mess? Cue the flashback. It all stared when I was a pudgy teen brought up on military values. My father and grandfather were in the military, so I figured hey if my old man can do it, heck I should have this thing down in a couple months and be running the place by year end. How hard could it be?


Enter SFC Foster my drill sergeant. I joined at 5' 9" 206lbs of blubbery ice cream eating goodness. SFC Foster was determined to turn me into a lean mean fighting machine. He kicked the crap out of us day in and day out. Well thanks to him I left there a lean 144. A full 62 lbs gone in 9 weeks.


I left basic ready to take on what ever would come my way and a profound understanding that I would not be running the Army in a year. Well I turned my focus to more constructive efforts. Airborne school....... My grandfather always said only 2 things fall from the sky, bird shit and rain. Well I finished as keep of the wings and had a full 7 jumps to my name. (yes I said 7 you only get 5 from school, I blew out my knee on jump 2 and was carried off the DZ and had to be recycled. I had torn my ACL, MCL, and PCL. But more on the fantastic medical care on a later post.)


Now I was on my way to AIT. Good Fellow Air Force Base here I come!! To a private who knew practically nothing of the Army, putting him on an AFB made for some interesting times. I squeaked by with out any major infractions and I was officially a 98C10PCM.

Some interesting times and 9 years later here I am. I have been deployed 3 times to the Middle east and many more times around Asia and its islands.

I have worked in many SCIFs some have windows but most not. Some are under ground, in the side of a mountain, or just simply a tent. No matter how you look at it the perspectives are all the same.

1 comment:

  1. One of the advantages of working in a mobile command center trailer and SCIF is it's secure, unobtrusive, and convenient. It can be positioned and set up anywhere, and it works with simple control and communication equipment. You're lucky that your profession keeps you safe and protected all the way.

    - Franklyn VanPey

    ReplyDelete

RANGER UP!!

Visit Ranger Up
Militia HQ>>